My Locost build

Cars built in the true Locost tradition, either home built or from kits.

Moderator: BradW

My Locost build

Postby Stephen22 on Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:01 am

Probably 3 years ago I decided to start building a Locost because I enjoy spending my time in the workshop.

I ordered the chassis, suspension and a few things to start off with from Brad. The car started taking shape then for a year nothing happened on the build because I started working out the country.
About a year ago I came into contact with the lotus 7 club in my area, then decided the build must go on. I am almost complete now.

During the 3 years it was not easy to keep focused on the project. The biggest supporter was my wife who kept pushing me to finish and for that I am very grateful.

The details of my car as follows.
Chassis: Locost
Engine: 4AGE 20V Silver top
Gearbox: T50 split box with a sierra diff
Brakes: Front Ford bantam, rear golf MK1
Suspension: Gaz shocks

These three photos are taken in February 2018 when I decided its time to finish this car, with my two assistants.

The 4AGE engine fits very nicely into the locost chassis.

These are the engine mountings I fabricated.
Stephen22

Re: My Locost build

Postby Stephen22 on Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:20 am

Working on the floor is a real pain in the back, so I made these stands.

Started on the wiring. Still a mess and has been made alot neater.

The T50 gear lever is not in the right position, basically the gear lever comes up from under the dash.

This is my crank angle pick up made by Craig Harper in Cape Town. He does very nice work. He can make anything.

The Ford Bantam brakes need a small modification, they need spacers to be fabricated as seen in the photo.

This is the pedal box that I used.
Stephen22

Postby Stephen22 on Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:59 am

I used a fuel pump that is under the fuel tank, that pumps fuel to the fuel swirl tank.

From there I use a HP fuel pump to the engine.

I had to cut the swirl pot to fit.

I started installing the fiberglass body, this seems to be the most difficult part because nothing lines up.

The dash is installed and all the wiring is behind the dash. My goal is to see as little wiring as possible.

The exhaust and cooling pipes were also fabricated by Harper sports cars.
Stephen22

Postby Stephen22 on Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:12 am

Next on the list.

1) Install the TPS wiring and plug
2) Install a windscreen, this is proving to be difficult because I need to find someone who will fabricate one for me.
3) Continue with the body work this is very difficult because of the misalignment
4) Install mudguards lights and indicators.
5) Interior.
Stephen22

Postby Werner Brits on Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:57 pm

Hi Stephen,

How is the progress of your build? If I may ask, what fuel pumps did you use for your setup?

Regards,

Werner
Werner Brits

Postby Stephen22 on Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:07 pm

Hi Werner.

My car done as far as building it goes. I am busy registering the car which is proving to be a pain in the ass.
After I get the car registered I will then get it painted.

I used 2 fuel pumps from a VW Combi from Goldwagen. I used 2 because 1 is for the surge tank and then the other 1 is from the surge tank to the engine and then my return from the engine flows back to my surge tank.
Stephen22

Postby Werner Brits on Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:48 pm

Thanks for the replay Stephen. Are they giving trouble on that matter?

I’m also considering using a surge tank but don’t know if it will be worth it though, I don’t think I will be driving a lot on the track. Will be running 2.0 Zetec in my car. :D
Werner Brits

Postby Stephen22 on Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:34 pm

Werner I cant comment on the reliability of the fuel pumps, so far my car has gone around the block, thats it. I am trying to register the car for now which is proving tough..

I have been told that the surge tank is well worth the effort. Some people use a small sump under the fuel tank and I believe this works well.

What are you building?
What area do you live?
Stephen22

Postby Werner Brits on Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:21 pm

I’m going to build a Locost (chassis from Brad). I live in Elissras (Limpopo), the chassis is still in the Freestate for now, so it is going very slow at the moment.
Where are you located?

That’s the thing that also made me wonder about the setup, some people say it is not necessary and some do :?:
We will see how it goes, still deciding on that matter. Going to buy hopefully all the brake fittings at the end of the month and start doing some assembly.
Werner Brits

Postby Stephen22 on Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:49 pm

This is my almost complete build. It is driving, I have to still paint the car.
I am busy registering my car but what a mission, it looks like I cant register it. Im still trying tho.

Stephen22

Postby Stephen22 on Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:59 pm

Werner Brits wrote:I’m going to build a Locost (chassis from Brad). I live in Elissras (Limpopo), the chassis is still in the Freestate for now, so it is going very slow at the moment.
Where are you located?

That’s the thing that also made me wonder about the setup, some people say it is not necessary and some do :?:
We will see how it goes, still deciding on that matter. Going to buy hopefully all the brake fittings at the end of the month and start doing some assembly.

I live in Cape Town area.
If you want brake lines fittings or any fuel lines and fittings contact FTF. They the cheapest and have everything you will need. They will send fittings to you.
http://ftfsa.com/
Stephen22

Postby Werner Brits on Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:46 am

I live in Cape Town area.
If you want brake lines fittings or any fuel lines and fittings contact FTF. They the cheapest and have everything you will need. They will send fittings to you.
http://ftfsa.com/[/quote]

Thanks for the info, appreciate it. My fiancé and I are coming down to Cape Town in September
, do you mind if I swing by and have a bit of Lotus talk? 8)
Werner Brits

Postby Stephen22 on Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:24 pm

Werne PM sent, please tell me if you got my message.

You are more then welcome to visit and discuss lotus 7s.
Stephen22

Postby Werner Brits on Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:28 pm

Stephen22 wrote:Werne PM sent, please tell me if you got my message.

You are more then welcome to visit and discuss lotus 7s.

I got it, thanks Stephen
Werner Brits

Return to Locost